Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Teacher's Pet

So I just typed this thing and this computer decided to erase it... So here goes again.
It seems I'm not going to be blogging too much on Tuesdays or Thursdays since I don't work and refuse to blog on my own time. Oh well, it's Wednesday now, so here you go. Nick and Gage have joined me in the blogging world, although it's only because they're required to in their Tech Writing class. Alright, let's talk about classes!

My first class was after work Monday afternoon. I didn't really know what to expect from MGMT 466. It's supposed to be one of the hardest MGMT classes, it is an exit level class after all. Oh well, I'm taking it with my roommate, so it should be at least minimally entertaining. I went into class, saved a seat for Nick and watched as the other kids filed in. I didn't know anyone that came into the class other than Nick. I began to worry that my other classes would be the same way. 3 out of 4 of my classes are less than 30 people and I was worried that I wouldn't find anyone I knew in the other classes. A jittery guy in a suit entered the room and Nick started to make a joke about him. I held up my finger telling him to wait. The guy set his briefcase down at the front of the room and I nodded, "It's the professor..." He was a quirky grad student looking kid, kind of jittery, maybe his first time teaching. As class began, we had to introduce ourselves. I told the class "I liked to feed the ducks," Nick told the story of the time birds invaded his house through the chimney. The professor seemed to like the both of us, so that was a good sign. As he began lecturing, I realized he was good at articulating things, but I had trouble keeping up with him and the business nerds. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's the business nerds. They're the kids over at Wehner that you can tell woke up early this morning for the sole purpose of reading the Wall Street Journal wither for pleasure or to make the rest of us look bad. Whatever the case, we had a couple in our class. They threw out answers containing words that neither Nick nor I understood. During the first lecture, our professor decided to throw in the fact that, he is "not the easiest grader." Delightful. He then went into random non-connected sentences with no real central theme or idea and called it his lecture. Folks, I'd like to introduce you to Jonathan Brookfield. My professor for MGMT 466: Strategic Management. At least I got to end the day at Sbisa, oh how I love eating all that I can eat. But while at Sbisa, a kid dropped his plate and fork on the ground making a loud clamor. I turned and in the good bull Aggie tradition, yelled, "Pick it up!" Upon yelling this, I realized that I was alone in the yelling and now, everyone was staring at me. I sat downand muttered about the fish and the lost traditions of Sbisa. New Army's gone to hell. On the way back to the garage, Nick and I saw a mode of transportation that neither of us had ever seen on campus before. We had seen kids riding their bikes, scooters, skateboards, rollerblades, but this was a new one. We saw a guy riding towards West Campus on his unicycle! It made my day. He peddled, arms flailing by his side down the sidewalk and around the corner out of sight. We returned home, where I was met with a big hug by Clinton, "I missed you!"

The next day was Tuesday, I woke up bright and early for 8AM class. I got ready, loaded Clinton up and drove to school. The drive did not take as long as I anticipated, I arrived to class 20 minutes early like a big nerd. I love academics... Since I was the the first one there, I staked out a place of my own and waited...hoping to see a familiar face walk through the door. And soon enough, it happened. Last semester, I was reunited with a girl that had been in my Accounting class freshman year. She joined me near the back of the classroom and all worries were soothed. I recognized another face across the small class. I was happy. Soon, professor Zimmer joined us. She was a nice woman, but she admitted getting her degree at that school over in Austin. A kid in front of me held up his pointer and pinky in the "hook 'em" symbol and nodded to her. Hey t sip, you didn't go to that school, this woman did. He irritated me already. We then had to introduce ourselves, which was a breeze. Other than the class being early, I think it'll be alright. I got out of class and had a couple hours till the next, so I headed home for a short nap.

After the nap, I returned to campus. My next class was MGMT 372. I arrived to class and as the students filed in, I realized I recognized zero of them. That's alright, a girl sat down next to me, so I began talking to her. She asked what I heard about this class and I admitted I didn't even know what the course 372 was. She pointed at the overhead projector and read it aloud. "It's organizational behavior." She told me that she was a Marketing major too and that our advisor said it was an easy class. Good, I'm glad. After class began, a guy walked in late and sat down in front of me. I hit him in the back of the head with my Battalion, "Why are you late?" The guy slowly turned around and his stunned expression turned into a smile. "Oh hey Chris!" It was my MKTG friend Jason, I did know somebody after all. He told me the same story of the reason he was in the class, the advisor said it was an easy business elective. We introduced ourselves once again to the prof, Mrs. Simmons. One of the questions we were asked is why we took the class, I made a story up that did not relect the fact that I just picked a random elective. As class progressed, we all realized it was going to be a long semester and this wasn't the easy class we had been promised. After class, Jason told me his next class was the same as mine and he introduced me to a girl that would be joining us in the next class. We went to Ag Cafe to grab a quick bite to eat, but found out that Ag Cafe was more packed then we had ever seen before. My disdain for the little freshmen grew more. After finally finding the right line, getting my chicken and eating it, it was time for class. Now this was my big class for the semester, 100 people MKTG 345. My professor was Dr. Busch who I had last semester. He loves me because I danced like an iPod in class. MKTG Majors rule. I knew several people in this class (including my iPod dance partner) and Dr. Busch went around class introducing himself to each person and smiled as he came to me and welcomed me back to his class. I knew several people in the class including the professor, this was by far my favorite. As class began, Dr. Busch began speaking to us and then paused and asked, "Chris, is there anything else I need to add?" I told him I didn't think so. He then asked me to introduce a book about your strengths that I had read in his previous class, which I did. He soon came back to me and asked me my specific strength. "Competition," I said. "What does that mean?" he asked. "Well, I'm a self motivator, I strive to be the best..." I began. The t sip guy that got on my nerves in my 8AM class decided to alert me of his presence by saying, "He's a winner..." "I Am A Winner!" I replied. Instead of introducing ourselves in class, we were asked to introduce a partner. We also made name tags to prop up on our desk to let everyone know our names. Mine says "Chris Wilson" with a penguin drawn out in the extra space on the side. No doubt everyonein that class already knew my name though, Dr. Busch made sure of that and promised the class that he would bring the DVD to class to show everyone the time I danced in my iPod costume. Class ended and I headed home.

Now here I am at work, waiting for MGMT 466 to start, hopefully it won't be as bad as we thought. We'll see. But most importantly, after class we're going to go to Mt. Aggie and sled in the snow! Whoop! I was rushed to type this, sorry if the quality is below par.

2 comments:

  1. Overacheiver! My other friends can't even compare to you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a copy of said video?

    ReplyDelete