Monday, August 01, 2005

Oh you nerds...

It's Monday once again and I actually had an eventful weekend. Friday, Nick finally got the 4 Runner of his dreams, it's a pretty sweet ride. Penny's parents fed Nick and me Friday night and again on Saturday, we enjoyed it. Hanging with them was cool, except maybe for the part where her dad closed the door in my face and locked me out of the house. He claims it was an accident...

Saturday was long. It started at 7AM and this is how it went: Work Projects, Chicken Oil Co., Pay the Rent, "Happy Birthday MB,"Atkinson Toyota, Best Buy (I doubt you wanted full commentary on my day...) After all that business was done and I arrived back home, Nick and I decided it was time for a trash run. So we gathered up our trash and took it down to the dumpster. When we got there, we saw a desk laying next to the dumpster. A pretty nice looking desk despite having a drawer missing. Now, one of our friends has been looking for a desk and we decided this would be the perfect time to show her how good of friends we are. I decided we should load it up on Nick's new 4-Runner and actually use that extra space he paid for. Apparently he needed just a bit more space though, to fit this desk. But there we stood in the parking lot, trying to manuever and position this desk so that it would fit in the back of the 4-Runner. We tried it right side up, upside down, end over end, nearly everything but breaking it into pieces and stacking them in the back. It wasn't until we gave up and decided to just carry it across the parking lot, all the way back to the apartment and have someone with a truck come get it for her that we fully realized we were being watched. A girl and her mom had been standing on the sidewalk watching us struggle with the desk. I also became aware that they had been loading her belongings into a trailer and moving her out. So most likely this was her desk that they had just thrown out that we were now playing with. Oh well, I smiled and waved and we carried the desk back to our dining room where it will sit for another week. We plundered them good! Afterwards, we went to play volleyball with lots of people from church since we had to replace our normal Saturday Night Volleyball friends. At the apartment complex we played at, we located another nice desk being thrown out by a resident. However we were told that it was already claimed and if we wanted it, there would be trouble. I didn't back down because of the fight, that's not the pirate way. I backed down because I realized if we had that much trouble trying to fit a desk in the 4-Runner, it would probably be harder to fit one in the Civic...

Sunday: Church, Hamburgers, Video Games, 1713, Pancakes, Penny...

Which brings me to today and the trouble I've already gotten into. It's a habit to cause some mischief at work every week. But after being at work 5 minutes today, I was already in trouble. Background Information Time!! We have a offsite tape vault that we keep backup tapes of financial information and all kinds of other information, so if our building burns down, we don't lose all that vital information. Yeah, I have a way important job. Each day, we have to go exchange tapes and pick tapes and keep the inventory updated. Me and my kids do this on the weekdays, the nerds from the help desk (the people you call to fix your computer) do it on the weekends when we're not here. Every weekend, they find a way to mess it up and I've left them notes explaining what to do. Week after week, "Hey weekend kids, put the tapes in order...", "Alright, here's what you do...", etc. No such luck, every week they find a way to mess up the tapes. I don't know if they can't count or read numbers that aren't binary. Whatever the case, they cause quite a bit of problems for us workers and cause Robin to get yelled at on occasion. So last week I left them a note that addresed them, "Hey Nerds!" Well, fast forward to today, after they recieved the message. I walk into work and Robin tells me that they got my message and told their boss about it. "You can't call them nerds," she told me. Robin had no problem figuring out who had penned the message. Robin's sense of humor is similar enough to mine for her to laugh it off though. I was walking down the hall a bit later and I hear Myron, a bigger boss with minimal sense of humor snap his fingers and call out my name, "Wilson! Get in here." He tells me he was forwarded the same story and that I'd left a message that "called them idiots...or stupid..or..."
"It was nerds," I said.
"Yes, yes, well in any case, you can't do that. We all work for the same department, we can't have dissention in the building."
I told him that I have left them several nicer messages, but they never got the point. Nonetheless, I appologized. Sorry nerds...errr coworkers. However, I did get some satisfaction today when Tiffany came in to visit and told me that in the log that we keep of who drives our van and where they go, one of the kids from the weekend recorded their name...and out beside it, wrote "(nerd)."

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:04 AM

    i was told to post a comment so here it goes....
    those nerds really screw everything up and now thanks to their sheer stupidity or lack of commonsense or whatever you want to call it, we have to hold their hand and show them exactly how to do it. i garuntee that a worker monkey could pick up on it rather quickly, lets just hire one of those and it will get done properly.

    and thanks for commandeering me that desk out of your dumpster, maybe we can take another trip to ikea for a drawer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chose to left your identity a secret. I didn't know if you wanted to broadcast the message "Tiffany uses dumpster furniture" proclaimed across the internet.

    ReplyDelete