Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Life from my Chair

I am lounging in one of the most comfortable chairs I've ever sat in. It's actually a pretty ugly color. Somewhere between green and grey. It stands out amongst the black and maroon chairs that we along with the other offices were issued. But in comfort, it's unmatched. A couple of months ago I found this baby at surplus and brought it back across campus to my desk. I can't even remember how life was without the comfort of this thing. My boss says it looks very unprofessional, but look at me. I'm sitting at my desk barefoot, drinking tea from the same plastic cup I drink from everyday. This cup was left to me by my former boss, something to remember Eva by. She also left me a 7 pound ball of plastic wrap which I proudly display in our Inbox below the dry erase board we found. A colorful assortment of markers that we comendeered from the front office reside in the tray below. An encouraging reminder is printed in blue at the top "Let's be careful out there!" There are few times that we take the advice. Nonetheless, according to the board it's been "Eleventy Billion!! Days W/O An Accident." A reminder of the August 12th potluck is written at the top of the board, but as of yet, no one's cared to erase it. That would take too much work. Behind me, the other guys are flirting with the girl from downstairs. I'm sitting at my desk singing along with whatever song Launchcast picks for me, right now it's You by Candlebox. And of course I'm typing in my blog. I decided to take a brief break from the typing to join the conversation behind me...I had to refill my tea anyway. The topics of conversation were various, but ended with who in CIS is gay. Hardly a productivity meeting. Our friend leaves and we all return to our stations. Justin plays his computer game, Claudio browses the internet, Zoe Jane is the current song playing at my computer. Thomas sees that it is 2:15, he gets off at 2:00, he's not too concerned about the quarter of an hour he "worked" for no pay. The UPS man enters, it's a different guy today. I can't lie to him when he asks "Y'all busy today?" I feel kind of guilty as sweat drips off of his forehead. I could have offered the guy some tea at least... But I'm sure the short break here in the below freezing print room was enough for him. Don't get me wrong, there is time to do work in here. There have been a few trips across the room today that were for work and not just for more tea, I've filled out some forms, wrote some emails and made some calls. But for the most part, this last hour has been nearly work-free. Apparently though, it's not that I am being lazy, there's just nothing to do in CIS today. Evident by the girl from downstairs coming up here for 30 minutes and then revealing she's the only one working down there today. Meanwhile I see Janette in the front office looking at eBay. I don't feel as lazy.

Last night, most of our friends went to Houston for an Astros game. I gathered up those that remained to go see Four Brothers. Nick, Jules, Kevin and I assembled together. It was a pretty good movie. Last week I told Karen I'd go with them to play Bingo on half price Wednesday, so I guess that's the plan for the evening. Thakfully the guys finally finished my roof at 6:30 last night. I awoke to my alarm this morning and not to the banging. As I left my house for work, I saw the guys walking around on the building next to ours. Enjoy that, my neighbors...

To those that have asked, you needn't be registered to comment. Click "Post a Comment," Select the "Other" bubble, type your name in and write your comment. It's as easy as that. Even the Diabetic Cheesecake Salesman can do it. And as for me, I'm going to go get some more tea.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:49 AM

    let me tell you about what its like working in the morning. there is the usual stuff, visiting with various people at various places we go. after the drop off at taes (bryan wells fargo) there is the usual hunt for "goodies" for lab supervisors. somedays we find nothing, other days we find things like hubcaps (which we have not done in a while), bike seats, headlights, and of course a speed bump. we found the speed bump this morning behind bms (across from whataburger on texas). the middle part of it had broken off from the sides and i knew right away that was quite a find. so i made logan get out of the can and pick it up. it was light which was a surprise, we for sure thought it was made of concrete. so we get this 2/3 of a speed bump loaded in the van. we want to get rid of it as fast as we can so we call to see if thomas is in (read) and he isnt and his kids dont know when he will be in. so we just take it to him anyway. logan is scared to get it out of the van while some ladies are outside of koldus so i pull it into the backseat and he gets it out the side door. we take it into thomas' office and kids are lookin at us but we ran to be discrete. so we take it in and lean it up against his chair and attach and envelope informing thomas that it is too big to fit into it. all the while i am rofling the entire time. logan just walks out all nonchalantly and tells the kids to have a good day. additionally we take the headlight we found on tuesday to greg aka deitz daddy (blocker) in a box that we stole from charlotte (mars in cain hall) and sealed it with giant rubber bands we stole from research foundation. greg was ecstatic that he got a headlight that doesnt match the hubcaps we have previously taken. he then informed us that the other supervisors are coming up with ideas to get back at us for all the roadside trash we have taken them. i cant wait.
    oh yea and cynthia burdick (scc) was grateful for the bike seat you took her yesterday.

    i love working in the morning.
    beat that afternoon kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany, I love you

    ReplyDelete