Thursday, August 04, 2005

Sign the Card!

The nerds are at it again! I had to go recruit 2 more this afternoon to teach to count. That's when one of their higher-ups, Myles, told me it wasn't their responsibility. Now, I've never had a problem with this guy, just thought he was a weird little nerd guy. But today, he tried ruining what had been a very nice day. I didn't have my 8AM class this morning, so I just slept in like a champ! I awoke at 11 with a smile on my face and now, just a little over an hour later, this guy was trying to erase that smile. "This isn't even their job, you can't keep taking my guys." Maybe if they knew how to do it correctly I wouldn't have to take them to reteach them during the week. It's a major inconvenience to me too, hippie. "Why don't yall just come in on the weekend and do it?" Technically, we've been doing it on the weekdays just as long as the nerds have been doing it on the weekend. It's as much their responsibilty as it is ours. They're already on the clock on the weekend, they're here, just do it. I'm not going to drive up here Saturday and Sunday morning to spend 30 minutes doing something any idiot could do. Seriously, Jessica Simpson would have less questions about this task than these nerds. That would put us over hours anyway and I sure as heck am not going to come up here voluntarily. Give me $20 each day, the sweet company van and the access card and I'll consider it. I tried explaining this to him, but he wouldn't hear it. He grudgingly picked out 2 of his lesser nerds and sent them with us. Robin is going to get some words from me about him tomorrow. Yet another Justin was sent with us and some kid I don't remember the name of (come on, I'm terrible with names, you're lucky I remembered the ones yesterday...). When I asked what they do about football games, Justin claimed to volunteer to work on Football Saturdays, "I can miss games, I'd rather watch them on TV anyway. I don't even have a sports pass." The other seemed to agree. What's wrong with these kids? I bet they wouldn't work during a LAN party...whatever that is. I hear them talk about those in the hallway sometimes.

Now back to the Vanilla Ice story I mentioned last week. I had just gotten home from work and was beginning in on what would turn out to be about a 5 minute nap. My phone rings, I roll over, grab it off of my nightstand and check the caller ID. "Chelsea Cell," I knew she was going to return my call during my nap and wake me up. I try to flip my phone open to answer it, but it opens about halfway and then shuts back, hanging up on her. I immediately open it back up and call Chelsea back. I sit up in my bed, phone to my ear, waiting for the rings to begin. After 2 seconds of silence however some music begins. It's music that I havent heard since high school. The music takes me back years, to the last time I watched the wretched show known as TRL. Is that The Real Slim Shady? Indeed it was. For some reason that tune begins playing through my phone. That's not very Chelsea-like I think to myself as I say, "Hello..? Chels...?" I pause and listen. I soon realize that the lyrics are not those penned by Marshall Mathers, but rather it was Vanilla Ice reciting, "Will it ever stop, yo, I don't know, turn out the lights and I glow..." I again say, "Chelsea..?" A few seconds later, the phone went silent. I pulled the phone away from my ear and looked at the display: "Call ended 0:15." I muttered to myself, "???" I dialed Chelsea again.
She answered after one ring, "Hey I just tried to call you, I got a busy signal."
"I didn't open my phone all the way and the face shuts, you get a busy signal when that happens... But I called you back and all I heard was music."
"I didn't get a call from you until just now."
"No, there was Slim Shady and Vanilla Ice..." I trailed off.
Chelsea suggested, "Maybe you heard my ringtone..."
"Is it Vanilla Ice or Eminem?"
"No..."
I told her the whole story and she had absolutely not idea what I was talking about. "There's no music in here...I'm watching my little brother." The story had to be true because in the background I heard her little brother exclaiming that he was "Michael Jackson."
I had a plan, "I'm going to hang up now, you call me back and I will try doing the same thing that I did last time." I tried replaying the whole situation, but when I dialed her back all I got was 58 seconds of ringing. The mystery has gone unsolved, not as easy to figure out as the Dooley case, some tried to explain it away as a dream, but this was no dream. Since then, I've had several reports from Tiffany, Claudio, and Thomas (All Cingular customers) saying that their calls are being intercepted by other people, sothey don't end up reaching the people they're calling, but instead others, such as Asians and a guy named Kevin. Cingular...you tricksters.

Yesterday Nick and I purchased a "Goodbye" card for Claire. It says something to the extent of "Wherever you're going, you surely won't find anyone else quite like us..." And on the inside, "Which is probably why you're going there." I thought it was very fitting. Penny suggested a gift as well, specifically an ash tray, so we purchased that too and I wrapped it last night in my traditional Christmas Penguin wrapping paper. Be sure to stop by my house sometime today to sign the card because I will be leaving it on her doorstep tonight. She'll love it I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment