Thursday, September 01, 2005

The Horror of MGMT 466

So it's Thursday and I'm posting. Yeah, I'm at home, but what else am I going to do? I don't have class again till Monday evening, so studying's out of the question. So before it's time for the super slammin birthday bash for Tiffany and Gage, I decided I'll blog a little.

I went to MGMT 466 yesterday, expecting the class to prove itself not as hard as I imagined it to be. But alas, I was not imagining. Class began and the professor went into a crazy lecture, spouting off random facts and definitions. I could not find any sort of connection between each sentence he said. The professor seems very smart and it seems his supply of knowledge is never ending. But for some reason, he picked yesterday to be the day he shared all of his knowledge with us. So as he jumped from topic to topic, I stopped trying to take notes and scribbled on my paper to pretend I knew what was going on. I was not alone. Nick was sitting to the left of me, he had finished playing some sort of invented solitaire Connect Four in his notes and was now staring blankly, with his jaw slightly open, at his notebook. The rest of the class also resembled some sort of Wehner High zombie. After class, I asked some girls in the hall if they knew what was going on in that class. "No," the agreed, "I tried to take notes, but he jumped around, so it was impossible." I told them that I had been in classes before that I hadn't understood the concepts or known how to do something, but this was the first time I've ever been in a class and not understood at all what was going on. We all agreed. I had talked to, Janette and Claudio, a couple of coworkers who had MGMT 466 with different professors and they both said it was going to be a piece of cake. Claudio said his prof played music in class and was going to focus his lessons around the music industry (sweet!) and he let them out of class early so he could go do his Fantasy Football draft (my kind of guy). So as we trekked back to the West Campus Garage, Nick and I agreed to check for openings in the 5:45-7:00PM MW class and if there were 2, we'd take them. Well, we arrived home and there were 3, so we took them. I found out today that the third slot was actually taken by Janette.

After that, itw as time for some fun in the snow. Gage, Tiffany, my roomies and I went out to Mt. Aggie where several inches of snow had accumulated (thanks to a snow machine) and we sled down several times. I must admit that it was the first time I've sweated while sledding in the snow. After the fun, we proceeded to Rumours for dinner. The guy in line in front of me looked very familiar and I tried to figure out where I had seen him. "Who is this guy? I know I've seen him in the past two days. I feel like I should know him," I mouthed to Nick. He just shrugged. Finally I looked at the guy who had turned in my direction and began, "Hey, you look famil...."
"Chris, right?" He interupted.
"Yeah..." I said. Crap, he knows my name, I always feel so bad when I forget people's names.
"Yeah, you're in my Marketing class. Dr. Busch called on you enough in class, everyone knows your name," he admitted.
Ah, my reputation as teacher's pet proceeds me. I laughed and began chatting with him. He told me he was the guy in class that during introductions, said he wanted to grow his beard out all semester and have the longest beard in class. I remembered him now. He told me that he was having second thoughts though, he rubbed the hair on his face. (I saw him in class today, he shaved it all off. He used to be "beard guy" to me, now he had nothing. At least I was still "teachers pet.") Our topic of conversation strayed from facial hair and I learned that he was just coming from the MGMT 466 class that Nick and I would be in now. He agreed that it was an easy class and he winced as I spoke about our unpleasant experiences in the 4:10 class. I got my food and told him I'd see him later. I'm looking forward to this new class. These kids better appreciate how good they have it. I've seen the other side and it's not pretty...

2 comments:

  1. Ms. Crum loved me

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I don't care much for this poem, as a matter of fact, I don't care much for you..." Yes, I must say, truly classic...

    ReplyDelete