Monday, May 15, 2006

What Now?

Well I'm graduated. It's been a long road. I guess all of my schooling since Pre-K has gone towards this. So how does it feel? (A question nearly everyone has asked me) Well, honestly, not all that different. When I sit and think about it. Not having to sit through another class, something that has become commonplace in the past 18 years. Having to move away to my own place, do my own thing, get a job and actually start a life. Yeah, so when I think about it, it's pretty surreal. It's insane. But just going about life, not really stopping to think about why I'm packing, why I'm signing a lease in a different city and why I've been telling friends goodbye, that's when it gets lost on me. I don't really think about it, I just do it. So to sum up: I don't feel that different yet. I guess it hasn't sunk in and I don't think it will for another week. When I'm thrown into a new life (that in a while will become commonplace as well), that's when I'll feel different. Grown up? Nah, I doubt it. But different. Uncomfortable no doubt.

With all of this graduation talk, I haven't been able to share all the stories I gain from my adventures. Here's a few

Clinton, Jason, and I were going to the park down the road a couple of weeks ago to play some wiffleball. Along the way, we picked up a kid that wanted to play with us. And then another. So we begin trying to play a friendly game. That's when all of the neighborhood kids converged on our park. They came running, they rode their bikes, discarding them in the grass and sprinting over. Some kids even came carrying others. So, within minutes we had over a dozen of kids surrounding us. This was enough to disrupt the game and make us start a couple of alternate games of catch. This also prompted a boy to yell to me (after a perfectly thrown ball no less) "Watching you throw is like watching Michael Jackson getting executed." This was followed by, "That was like watching Forrest Gump 3 times in a row," among other insults that I don't quite understand. He also guessed that I didn't have a driver's license. "I bet you have the knowledge to drive, but you ain't got a license." When he was told that I did he insisted that I "drive one of those old ugly cars." Soon after, he ended up running off with one of the wiffle balls. With a 1-2 Punch of the ice cream truck coming by and the children's mothers calling them home for dinner, we were free to go. We only lost 2 balls in the ordeal. One to Mr. Insults and the other to my new little friend (that one was given to him).

Today I was in Montgomery and it seems that Bob launched an attack on the local schools. All of the area school's marquees were changed to say "Bob Was Here." Interesting little town I'll be moving to. I went to the Wal-Mart about half a mile from my new apartment today and everyone there was pretty friendly. And old. I guess that's to be expected though. I'm not living in a college town anymore.

And lastly, CIS finally got the new van in today. The one I'd been waiting for since January. We'd always joked that they'd get it in the day after I graduated. And lo and behold... Ah well, a little irony never killed anyone.

Alright people, I'll be moving Saturday, so if you want to help out, it'll be a blast. And also, my roommates abandoned me for the week (the last week I'll be here), so if you want to visit me, I've got an empty apartment (don't mind Kitten and Anna) and tons of cake. Seriously, come get a belly full. Until then, get some rest, you got a whole summer in front of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment