Wednesday, May 24, 2006

My First Day and Other Lessons From Conroe

Well that was it. My first day is over. It wasn't bad. I don't feel like I accomplished all that much and I have no idea what tomorrow has in store for me (other than lunch with a client). I do know that over the next couple of months, I'll be traveling quite a bit around Texas.

Other than work, I've been doing some other learning. I've learned that people in Conroe are terrible drivers. On my first 4 days here, I daily saw at least one person blatently run a red light (it happened twice yesterday). That doesn't mean it turned red as they were driving under it. It means that it was red long before they got to the white line that you're supposed to stop at and sped through anyway. We don't do that where I come from! Welcome to Houston traffic, I'm very glad I live in Montgomery away from that. All I have to deal with is the speedsters.

Secondly, I learned that the people here sure love having shops that combine random products and services. For instance, on my way to work, I pass by a "Psychic." They have signs offering palm reading, tarot cards, all that nonsense. Surrounding this small building are numerous boats. And a sign sits below the sign reading "Psychic" that says "We Buy Boats!" That's got to be a good sign for the used boating industry. If a psycic is getting into the business, good things are sure to be coming... Right... Also, in Willis yesterday I passed a small shop that had two products. Liquor and Doughnuts. That's all. I can't imagine any reason that someone would decide to open Frank's (I don't remember the name) Liquor and Donuts. Well, maybe they want to provide for the morning commute and the after-work commute... Or maybe, heck, people like holes in their pastries? How about some holes in your liver as well?

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:40 PM

    hahahaha good stuff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:26 PM

    Even I have a random combined shop. Kitten's Grass and Explosives Shop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:52 AM

    maybe corpus should take some tips from the chinese so they can grow some grass again without having to buy it from kitten: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12644965/

    i hope you are having a blast at work this week! can't wait to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:27 AM

    Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
    »

    ReplyDelete