Wednesday, May 17, 2006

More Packing

So, my old laptop? What am I to do with it? That was a question that came up today. It's sat in the closet for the past several months. Discarded, as it should be with its crashed hard drive and bad RAM. I decided to try and turn it on yesterday, what the heck. The nerds said that it would cost thousands of dollars to salvage the hard drive. Why believe them, right? I can do it for free by just sitting it in the closet and a couple of months later push the power button. No such luck... I returned it to its resting place in the closet. When I came across it today, however, it was time to take action. Most everything in my closet had been boxed up, ready to be shipped out to Montgomery tomorrow. I picked it up again, took it down the hall trying to decide what to do with it. I decided to sit it on the ground, plug it in and try once more. Amazingly, Windows booted up. And there it was! My desktop! I hadn't seen it in so long. Despite it's unstable nature, all the errors and text boxes that kept popping up reminding me that the drive was corrupt, I was amazed that it worked. All the stuff that I was upset about losing was at my fingertips, now if only it'll stay up long enough to allow me to burn it to CD. 8 CDs later, I rescued everything that I had been missing. Most notably, the last CD contained the hundreds of away messages I had created in college. As you may have seen, I've been displaying random selections from the Chris' Comments series. I was so excited. What good fortune! And it provided a nice break from packing all day. That is not a fun thing to do.

I had a short conversation with my across the parking lot neighbor (hippie) on my way to the dumpster. He admitted he liked moving. I don't know if it's something he naturally likes or if he grew to like it. He'd previously told me that he moved 17 times in his life so far. He's not even to his 20's yet. That's a heck of a lot of moving. After our short conversation, he returned to packing himself up for his short move to Bryan. I returned to my boxes, I've had enough of moving already. Nonetheless, I plan on taking another trip to Montgomery tomorrow if anyone cares to join me. It will probably be in the afternoon, 2PM or so. I have some more stuff that needs to get up there to make life easier on Friday.

Well, it's nearing 2AM now. I'm getting old, I'm supposed to be getting on a regular sleep schedule, I guess that didn't happen tonight. Oh well, there's always tomorrow...as long as it's squared away by Wednesday morning, I imagine I'll be ok. I'm hoping we can all do something Friday night in CS too, one last horrah if you will... More details later. I'll see y'all later and I think it's too late to come up with a random made-up saying to insert here. So I'll pass. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment