Thursday, October 06, 2005

No Sleep Till...Brooklyn

Shout out to the Beastie Boys with this title. It encompases the theme of my day thus far and it's definate party music since my day has been a party. It started out in my shower, one of the 2 "party showers" in my house. My roommates decided to use Nick's birthday presents of shower crayons and foam letters to decorate the shower. There are colors screaming good morning from every direction on the shower wall. It's quite glorious. I decided today I would eat a pop-tart and drink some milk, probably a healthy alternative to the Full Throttle I've been counting on every Tuesday/Thursday to keep me awake. I was under the impression that I didn't really need the FT to keep me awake and going on this early morning, that it was all in my head. Well I was wrong.

I got to Zimmer's class (possibly the most boring class that I've had to sit through), took out my crossword, and realized it was Thursday. Those of you that are acquainted with the Batt's crossword will know what that means. As the week progresses, the difficulty of the crossword progresses. By Thursday, it's too hard for me to do. So after I filled in the blanks of the 10 answers I knew, I looked at the clock and realized I still had an hour left in this chair. That was the time that the realization of the dependence I had on Full Throttle hit me. My eyes grew heavy, the lecture grew boring. I glanced around the room of 20 or so students and saw 2 others attempting to sleep. The first was face down on the desk. Not very discrete. Good I won't be the only one... The other was a girl with her head resting on her arm, face pointed towards the notes laying on her desk, but from my position I could clearly see her closed eyes. I opted for this girl's strategy. I looked down at my notes, closed my eyes... I managed to get a couple of winks of some quite terrible sleep, I'm not sure exactly how long I was out. It was long enough for my professor to go over a mere 2 slides, but knowing this prof, that could have taken an hour. I glanced up at her and her eyes caught mine and held them in a stare as she lectured. I quickly pulled away and returned them to my notes. A few minutes later, she released class and I confided in my neighbor, Sarah that I hadn't stayed awake the whole time in class and I was thinking about going upstairs and finding a place to sleep for an hour or so. She told me that it was a good idea and good luck. then we parted ways.

Deciding the 4th floor was a good floor to try, I walked to the end of the hall, further than I had ever traveled before. At the end of the hall, there was one of Wehner's padded benches sitting beside a table that was surrounded by chairs on the other 3 sides. I got comfortable, set my alarm on my cell phone and closed my eyes to rest. Soon enough though, I heard voices around me and I opened my eyes, looked around, and realized it was party time once again. There were 7 or so kids sitting around me in the other chairs about to start a group meeting. Although I was taking up 1/4 of the table space, I decided I probably wasn't invited. So I pakced up and moved on down to the WCL. I'm still in need of a nap and I'm not sure when that will come. I still have 2 classes to make it through and a probable pop quiz in this next one. Oh well, I'll make it through the day. But probably not awake.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:30 PM

    As always, I enjoy your blog, Chris.

    I bet you love your decorated shower since you like to hang out in bathrooms. Maybe that is why your roommates decorated it for you. I am sure they had your best intentions in mind when they did it.

    ReplyDelete