Monday, October 17, 2005

I Like Picture Books

That's about what I expected from the football game. A large margin of victory over a bad OSU team. The good thing was that our offense began clicking, our defense finally played a full 4 quarters and my margin of victory prediction was big enough for MB to win the weekly contest at work and a Best Buy gift card. I also rose 9 places in the Texags Pick Em ranking to #15...out of 1061 people. I'm a total champ this week.

Yesterday was Strike-A-Thon, the Zeta's annual breast cancer fund raiser. I gladly supported the event, even though it was run by a sorority. They did raise over $50,000, so I'm impressed, good work Zetas. Our team, the Pink Pirates (reppin the Breast Cancer awareness in our pink shirts) consisted of Tiffany (Cap'n Smitty), Nick (Seadog), MB filling in for Gage (Peg Leg), Penny (Half Pint), and me (Cap'n Krunk). We bowled good enough to not get the worst team award, but not good enough to get any other type of award. And in my second game, I did manage to score a 156, if I may promote myself a little more. The rest of my day, till after 9 was spent in some good Growth Group time.

Today, Tiffany and I were in the MSC. I was trying to leave, but she got distracted talking to the Aggie Wranglers, so I wandered over to the next table to look at the open photo album that was displayed. As I leaned over to look at the photos. the girl that was stationed behind the table, set her text book down and greeted me. I looked at her, smiled and returned the "Howdy." She asked me if I was interested in the Golden Key International Honour Society. "Well, I don't really know much about it." Somewhat of a lie... In all honesty I'd never heard of it. "Well, do you have any questions?" She asked. "Actually, I don't really know anything about it. I just came over here to look at your picture book." This was probably the time that the girl should have realized that I probably don't belong in any sort of Honor Society, let alone one that is spelled "Honour." That extra U is definately too fancy (or British) for anyone that was attracted to the table by some colorful pictures. However, since she showed a lot of effort in setting aside her studies to talk to me, I decided to let her give her speech. She told me all about it, telling me that it was by invitation only, the member benefits, scholarships, plus all the other things that make the Golden Key International Honour Society as snobby as the name suggests. She asked my major and when I told her marketing, her only reaction was, "Oh. I had a roommate that was a business major." Business...very broad. Obviously the GKIHS doesn't get many Marketing majors. We're too busy "singing and dancing in class" to be taken seriously I'm sure. Nonetheless, I ended up signing up for membership consideration, allowing them to check my records, my grades, and my pedigree. So if I'm as above average as the rest of the Society, then I suppose I get one of the coveted invitations. Which of course I'll accept. But even if I'm not elite enough to make the cut (I doubt there are too many Cap'n Krunks that make the cut), I can still brag about my College Football Pick-Em Skills...

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:04 PM

    so, what, you think you're better than everyone else? and i thought i knew you... j/k please don't dump me for some Honour girl when you get your invite!

    ReplyDelete