Saturday, December 10, 2005

Happy Birthday Teeth!

Well, it's 8:30PM Saturday Night and I just woke up. That means I missed the Heisman presentation. Way to go Reggie Bush... Vincent who? But now I have little else to do put type in my blog. I figure I have enough to type about to do so and since I won't be able to type an entry for Monday, now's a good time to explain why.

Well, Monday is my birthday. And the first present I'll recieve is dental surgery. How do I do it...
Some other business majors and I have been planning on getting a football game together during finals nearly all semester. And finally yesterday was our chance. We assembled at 6:30 on A&M Consolidated HS's football field. It was some good football for the first hour and a half, there was some blood, cuts and bruises. I got to attempt my best "Reggie Bush impression" as Jason put it. We had good stats all around and the Hats (my team) were dominating the Non-Hats for the first hour and a half. After a brief break in the action due to a cut above Clinton's eye, we were back on track and it was as intense as ever. I'd been covering Jason all night and in what became the last play of the game, he ran a short out, caught the ball. At the same time I converged to take him down and prevent the first down. He turned up field as I hit him and his shoulder caught me right in the jaw. The hit knocked the ball loose, which Clinton recovered and was going to return for a TD. Until he noticed Jason in pain and me sitting down on the ground bleeding out of the mouth. Dang, that hurt. I spit the small pieces of teeth that had chipped off out along with some thick, red blood and then felt my teeth with my toungue. Something wasn't right. A couple of people were over checking on Jason and the others followed me to the bathroom as I hustled off. I was bleeding a lot. I washed my mouth out with water, which didn't help all that much. But I looked in the mirror and saw that 5 of my front teeth had been knocked out of place. Obviously I'd had my teeth gritted and somehow the impact knocked my 5 bottom teeth down into my gums and pressed them forward. Upon arriving to the ER, I'd also noted the chipped teeth and my split gum. Clinton had driven me to The Med, Jason joined us to check on me. Although upon arrival, there was an empty waiting room, it still took longer than necessary to learn what little they had to tell me. While I was in the back waiting for the doctor for the 3rd time, my in-town cousin, Kay walked in. She reported to me that my dad had called her, so she got up there as quick as she could. She also told me that as she came in, she passed Jason and Clinton and asked, "Which one of y'all did it?" And threatened the guilty. I was told I needed to go make an appointment with the orthedontist on Monday and I was sent home with a prescription of Vicodin. My hometown dentist knows better though, so he's having me come in Monday morning to get my teeth shoved back into place and fixed with a splint. The splint will keep them in place until they heal back to normal.

So I am traveling to Corpus tomorrow by way of Penny and should be returning Monday night. However, my birthday dinner is postponed till 6:59PM on Wednesday. But for the past 24 hours I've kept guaze in my mouth to minimize the contact between my top teeth and the painful bottom teeth. And have been on a diet of luke-warm tap water and luke-warm soup. Oh well, "Boys will by boys," right? My team ended up winning in the end. So it wasn't a failure.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:57 PM

    And what a great victory it was! 8-6 first game, and I believe it was 2-1 when the second game was called on account of vast amounts of blood on the field...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:22 AM

    Ugh, the agony of defeat. Because of you Chris I will have to live the rest of my life with the Football nickname "The Dentist", or at least that's what Craig says. I'm glad you're ok and you yelled great against Grambling for not being 100%.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:32 PM

    I am behind on my blog reading (as I told Nick, I am trying to get a real life) so Chris, I didn't understand why you picked your birthday and finals week to make a trip to the dentist in Corpus Christi. I just thought you wanted to come see your favorite dental hygienist. I am so sorry to hear about your accident! At least you can tell everyone that you got injured playing football for Texas A&M during your senior year. I would like to make one suggestion, though. Just a little motherly advice - next time, if there is a next time, plan a football game for a week that is not the week of someone's birthday and not the week of finals. (just in case of injuries). I did wonder why your friends (including those named Nick and Mary Beth) didn't take you out to eat for your birthday and have a big celebration for you. I think that your friends owe you a big, belated celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. DANG, so that's what happened ehh? Sorry I didn't get a chance to call you, I had to head back just as soon as I came in. Hope you are enjoying the B-day dinner of Chicken noodle soup. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete