Friday, December 16, 2005

Catching Up

Well I'm back at work, teeth and all. It was nothing a little 3 hour dental surgery couldn't fix. I started my birthday off with an early awakening by my mom. We got to my dentist's office about 9:00. And then the fun started. After receiving the Happy Gas (they have to have that in order to get people to actually come into the dentist), 6 shots in the mouth (which didn't completely eliminate the pain), and some painful x-rays, Dr. Cody came in and informed me how upset he was at the dummies at the ER and how easily they could have pushed my teeth right back into place and let them heal. But now that they had begun setting themselves, he'd have to reloosen them and try to push them back to where they belong. He then began trying to shove my teeth back into place. He then asked me to help by gritting my teeth as hard as I could to try to shove them back into place while he shoved. Since they were pushed into my gums some, they didn't go back exactly where they belong, but they were better. Still they weren't where they oringially were, so he then began reshaping my teeth so that none of my front teeth touched the tops when I bit down. He told me that my bite would be significantly different and very bothersome to me (which I can tell you now is absolutely true). He then splinted the five teeth together, told me I could come back in January to get my chipped teeth up top fixed and would need to return in three months to get the splint off and most likely have a root canal done where one tooth was broken beneath the gum. I was then showed how to care for the teeth (since they were bonded together, I couldn't floss between the teeth, but I would have to use a small device to shove the floss through my gums by the teeth). And most notably, I was told I couldn't bite anything with my front teeth for the next 3 months, making eating most foods very difficult. Afterwards I felt terrible and just wanted to head back home, but soon enough the drugs kicked in and made eating at Fermin's tolerable (at least I got to eat at my favorite restraunt on my birthday). We made it back home that night, my teeth are repaired and the difference isn't really noticable to anyone else but me. I survived, now I can move on. Which means studying for my final I have on Monday. I'm the only person in College Station still studying for finals...

We had a great birthday dinner for me on Wednesday night. It moved from TGI Fridays because the hostess proved herself to be a total dummy. So we went to Ninfa's (where all birhtday parties end up). I knew enchiladas weren't as hard to eat without use of your front teeth as other foods I've tried, so it was all good. I got some birthday presents and then we went back to my house. When I got there, there was an 8 foot penguin chilling in the house. Tiffany, Gage and Karen had so sneakily acquired Nick's keys and left from dinner early to set it up (I use the term sneakily very loosely and mainly to appease them). But it was nice. The high point of the night involved drinking the Thanksiving Dinner themed Jones' Sodas. We drank the set in this order: Brussel Sprout Soda, Turkey and Gravy Soda, Wild Herb Stuffing Soda, Cranberry Soda, Pumpkin Pie Soda. Upon opening the first drink, the room filled with a putrid odor. Some of the volunteers that had stepped up to drink the Brussel Sprout chickened out and set down their glasses. The stench was literally making people sick, so this had to be done fast. Nick downed his shot, made an ugly face and proceeded to rinse his mouth out in the sink. The smell made me quite queezy, so I asked Nick to move out of the sink. I raised my glass, took a swig and immediately ran to the sink and threw up for the first time in 5 years. I don't think eating or drinking anything has ever made me throw up. And we eat some pretty nasty and random stuff. Meanwhile, Tiffany is throwing up just outside the doorway, strictly from the smell... The rest of the drinks were pretty rough, but I held the rest of them down. It was quite an adventure.

And now, here I am. Back to work on a Friday. 8-5 will be my schedule for the remainder of the break. Aside from Monday, as I will be taking a final, alone in my professors office. That sounds quite intimidating if you ask me. Therefore, it's time for the studies. It's my first day without having any vicodin, and I think I've done pretty good. Aside from a little pain and some trouble I had eating (don't laugh when I eat, it's not polite...) it's been good.

Oh and before you reply to this post or any of the others, the "All I want for Christmas is my 5 front teeth" joke. I've heard it...so stop.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:08 AM

    you're not the only one taking a final today! i know a t-sip taking his last one as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah yeah... I found another sip taking hers too...

    ReplyDelete