Saturday, July 22, 2006

Goodbye Ol Chap

This morning I sit in an empty looking downstairs apartment on Balcones. Boxes cover the couch in this living room, a bag of mine lays on the floor. This is one of the few rooms that still has furniture in it. My room sits down the hall, having been vacant for a few months now. The newest vacancy is the next room over. The last time this room was vacant, it was a joyous occasion. It meant the opening of our study room/dance room/rec room. But that's because we knew soon we would have another roommate. Early this morning, Clinton hit the road to Midland to set up his new home. I don't like the way things are changing, it feels weird. As time progressed, the distance seperating two friends has changed from 15 feet to 45 miles and now over 450 miles. This house, my first real home away from Corpus is going to be completely empty in little over a month. It will become a foreign place to me, where I will no longer be welcome. Strangers will be living and making memories in what in our minds is Our Home. The past 3 years have gone by fast, but it seems that we've lived here for a much longer time. I know it's nothing to complain about, it's just a different feeling than I've experienced. The fact that all of our lives are changing is something that's hard to grasp until the change actually occurs. The saddest reminder of the change is the foam letters that Nick and Clinton would always message each other with in the shower. They know spell out "Goodbye Ol Chap" on the bathroom wall.

Well good, the siamese cat from down the hall has jumped in my lap to console me. The only problem though is that she's changed too. For some unexplicable reason, she smells like skunk...

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:06 AM

    that was touching. it brought a tear to my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:18 AM

    I'm sorry I was working during Clinton's going away dinner. Ugh. Why does Kitten smell like skunk? Hm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It takes some getting used to... it took me about 6 months. As long as you stay involved with something you'll work through the first year on your own just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:27 PM

    But Ben, you never had to get over being a roommate of mine! Strangly enough, I never kept a roommate for more than one year...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure getting over living with you takes some real determination. It was also hard to let go of my dead 3 year old fish when I was 5. I don't know what that means.

    ReplyDelete