Monday, April 24, 2006

Location, Location, Location

Well, it's getting closer. I'll probably have a job before the week's out. It's exciting, but at the same time a little scary and sad. Time to move on with life I suppose. I'm feeling a little somber and nostalgic as I write this. It's probably due to the Breaking Point song that's playing in the background. Well, with the short time I have here at work, let's get down to business.

To begin, let me give you some tips I picked up throughout college on studying. And as a good Business student, let me first tell you, it's all about Location, Location, Location.

The location is important, pick a place where you aren't distracted. Don't sit anywhere near instant messanger, sitting at the kitchen table may work unless you have a roommate that asks you questions like, "Hey. What do you think I'd do if someone busted through that window behind you and yanked you out? I think I'd keep studying..." For me, the best places to study were places that enjoyed and actually felt in the "study zone." I tried places like Sbisa, Denny's, and even Taco Bell which were alright if you don't mind the noise, free refills are a nice bonus.

However, I had a couple of "secret places" that were most useful to me. So, since I'm graduating, I'll give the secrets out:

1. Walk the Sky - My number one favorite place to study was in the skywalk on the second floor between Rudder and the MSC. Very cozy place, comfortable chairs, easily accessable bathroom, and the hallway is a perfect place to race your roommate as a study break. The windows along the hall provide a nice view of Rudder Plaza and the fountain.
2. Roundtable Discussion - A rendition of this for study groups would be in the 2nd floor lobby of Rudder at night. It's unlocked and the large round desk accomadates study groups nicely.
3. Secret Classrooms - The MSC also provides the best atmosphere for a group to study. Find your way up to the 3rd floor of the MSC (the stairs up there are on the hotel side of the MSC). It's a small floor, there are a couple of classrooms up there that are Never used. Dead silent, big rooms and your own bathroom. Thanks to Clinton for showing me that one freshman year.

There are also a couple of little-known locations for studying or groups requiring computer access:

1. Read Up - Read Lab. Heard of it? Not many have. It's open till 8 and is rarely even a quarter full. Plenty of computers around. It's room 150 in the Read building (adjacent to G Rollie). Most confusing building on campus, I know. Worth the find though.
2. Teague Building - Yeah, it's where I work, so that's how I found this place... The front entrance (facing the Commons) houses 4 computers. This section of the building is open 24 hours and at night is completely dead, allowing perfect privacy, peace, and quiet.

I visited each of these locations at some point during the year, so if I disappeared studying, this is where I went. But now that y'all can't interupt my studying, enjoy.

Well, that's all I have for now. I'm heading to Galveston Tuesday night with a company, they're putting me up in Moody Gardens, I'm excited to attend this convention they hold, hearing more about the company and actually getting to meet some customers and see how they interact with the company. But this of course means I miss my last soccer class... How sad. Only a few days of class left. That's insane.

Later on kids, keep it hot and serve the fries on the side.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:59 PM

    good tips!. good luck on your galveston thingy and see you in a few weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:47 PM

    This makes me sad... Why aren't you on the 7 year plan like most of us college kids??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:41 PM

    yeah, couldn't you at least be on the four and a half year plan like the cool kids are? you overachiever...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:41 AM

    Chuck once relayed a cool study place to me. It involved cool things like having to place your backpack into a locked steel cage and pressing a maximum security button, which sounded an alarm and the door opened. OK, I think I made most of that up, but you did have to press a button and wait for the attendant to open the door. It was some maximum security room in the library.

    My favorite study places are:
    1) 6th floor Evans. I know you don't like the carpet, but I like the view.
    2)4th Floor Evans. Hiding computer lab by the skywalk.
    3) Annex study rooms. Though, they are bad for study groups. But great for stud groups!
    4) Top Secret MSC classrooms
    5) Koldus Garage. For it being a poor location, I spent a lot of time studying inthere.

    And for nastalgic purposes, I'll throw in my two favorite outdoor study places:
    1) Spence park
    2) Quad behind the Systems Building. I don't really know the name of that quad, but I spoke in code so few would find the giant field...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah yes, the field. Cory and I would study on "the grassy knoll" there as we called it. Another outdoor space that I enjoyed when I actually had class on main campus was the H20 Fountain. Freshman year, I thoroughly enjoyed studying in "the dungeon," but the Food Service losers closed it...

    ReplyDelete