Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Understanding

Last week, Penny and I took in the Houston Symphony. They were playing at the Pavilion in The Woodlands and were accompanied by different types of dancers for their "Dancin' Beneath the Stars" theme. It was actually a good time.

I expected it to be a little different than it was. Most things are like that I suppose. For instance, I thought people in The Woodlands, especially those that go to the symphony had a little class. The group behind us must have followed me down from Conroe though or even worse, Willis. They were throwing back beer and chowing down on plates of nachos. Be sure to lick your fingers off when you're done. Oh...you already have.

And as I previously stated, I enjoyed it. That came as somewhat of a surprise as well.

How did we end up at the symphony? Well, it all goes back to an understanding that Penny and I have. We split the year into 3 seasons (rather than the typical 4 that people recognize or the 2 that Texas experiences (Summer and Cold Fronts)).

Our 3 seasons go like this: Football, Basketball, Off Season.

"Football Season" is a 4 month stretch from September through December in which I have free reign over the calendar. I get to call the shots and make our plans. Those plans typically include a trip to College Station every weekend for Football and Soccer and some healthy doses of NFL.

"Basketball Season" is a time from January through April that Penny and I both enjoy. Since we like to watch basketball, we compromise and once again end up in College Station most every weekend for Aggie Basketball.

Now, the "Off Season" (named by me obviously) is a tricky time because there's no constant theme that drives it. We do what Penny wants from May through August. This is when I broaden my horizons and is the specific reason we ended up at the symphony that night. It could also be a good time to save a little dough as free mezzanine seats at the Pavilion are considerably less than season tickets at Kyle.

I am not a cheap date.

2 comments:

  1. Blog Observer4:54 PM

    "free mezzanine seats at the Pavilion"

    I think this explains the rednecks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that crowd would stray away from anything that had that many syllables...

    ReplyDelete