Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Iced In

The ice has made its way to Conroe now, so I get an ice day! The funny thing is that by simply moving a space in "an ice day," you get "a nice day." Let's see you kids in Dallas and Midland do something that clever with your snow day...

A&M remains closed. I hope Penny has been enjoying her 6 day weekend, because I assure you those don't come around too often. I only got a couple of days off total in my 4 years at A&M, never 2 in a row. I'm sure all the students are enjoying it. It's not as hard of a freeze as we had last year in CS. Ice Days aren't nearly as fun without someone to share icecicle breaking and bush kicking with...


Onto the reason I'm posting. Aside from my trip to Lenny's and to pick up the Yukon for my trip to Laredo tomorrow, I've spent most of the day in front of the tv. Cold Pizza, Price Is Right, Home Improvement, Family Feud. I can't wait until I'm retired. But why is it that daytime commercials are so terrible? Are old people such eager consumers that you don't need to hire professional actors to sell them a product? Some of these commercials look like they were filmed in someone's front yard. "Hi I'm Jim. I bought auto insurance. It's for my car. Call now." You know, something like that. That's not going to sell me anything, but apparently the old people eat it up. And Head On? I don't know what it is, but you apply it directly to your forehead.

One hypothesis you might have is, "Maybe all the great minds are too busy playing game shows during the day to make commercials." Well that is false. This is apparent by watching any game show that airs during the day. Skipping over the doozies that were on The Price Is Right, allow me to share with you a phrase that is never said on Family Feud. "That is a terrible answer." Why is this never said. This should be the catch phrase of Family Feud along with every other daytime game show.

Host: "100 people polled, answers are on the board. What is the main thing the women who are feeling fat want to avoid?"
Response: "Umm..oh! Giraffe Riding! Yeah!"
Family: "Good anwser! Oh yeah! Good answer!"

If you can't be honest with your family, who can you be honest with? That's a terrible answer. Say "Food" dummy. Wishful thinking and denial that your family is an idiot is not worth any points.

And now Family Feud has ended, Maury has begun. This episode: "Did My Man Cheat Because I Only Have One Leg?" There is surely no redeeming quality in this ridiculous show.

As I began to wind this blog down, I understood why there are no good commercials on during the day. I wouldn't want any of my work associated with the stupidity displayed on daytime television either. Way to go good commercial makers.

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:46 PM

    According to wikipedia, Head On has a new commercial out inwhich a person walks out after the line "Head On, apply directly to your forehead," and says "I can't stand your commercial, but your product is amazing!" Wikipedia also states that the BBB has asked the company to not say that it cures headaches and there is no substantial evidence proving that it does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:46 PM

    When I was little, Lost in Space use to be on before the Price is Right. I miss that show...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:47 PM

    Whoa! A secret agent! Should I be able to see this? [bang!]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:47 PM

    You saw nothing, you hear me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:47 PM

    yes sir

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:48 PM

    Who shot Clinton?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:49 PM

    We saw nothing. However, we HEARD and READ a secret agent shoot him!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:49 PM

    A secret agent? Get real you guys. What a bunch of wackos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:40 PM

    I saw this on someone's blog and it made me think of you...

    [IMG]http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h226/brite54/Participants_2.jpg[/IMG]

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:41 PM

    grrr.... i totally screwed that up. sorry sweetie! go here:

    http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h226/brite54/Participants_2.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous7:03 AM

    For the record, Penny the Dummy is not the same as Penny the Dog who is not a dummy, but just plain stupid.

    ReplyDelete